2004-04-04

English

  I see a girl is trying to translate a traditional Chinese poem into English on her blog. The translation is good, in my eyes.
  
  Actually I don't know what is good in English writing. To me, English is just a tool although it should be more than that. This is really a pity. I tried to read something. But to enjoy the beauty between the lines is too much for me. Only once I see the light. That is in colleague, reading Tess D'Urbervilles, a paragraph of the green grass land. I knew I never saw such a beautiful scenery in its Chinese translation. You see, the world is not perfect if a language is just a tool.
  
  One of the reasons I try to work as an active global support is, I can use this language in a real bussiness world. When this year begins, I looked back and realized I still lacks in English.
  Yes, I made progress. At the very beginning, I even can't speak out the my title fluently on phone. My brain will go totally blank when customer talks fast or with some accent. Thanks God, now I get over all of these. I can understand Singapore English without problem. I can even talk happily with mysterious Indian customer.
  At that time, I know I can deal with American English and Australian English. But I just can't work with Singapore or Indian accent. The first day is very embarrassing. My Boss is from Singapore, she asked which team I am in, 'Dechnology?'
  I am lost at once. What is it? So I said,'No.'
  'Application?'
  This one is clear. Sure I am not.
  'But we only have two teams,' she is confused and joke,'Am I choosing the right person?'
  We all laugh. But it is really hard for me to figure out 'Dechnology' is 'Technology'.
  In that phase, I can easily know what accent it is. Because for each one, I don't understand in different ways. After a whole year's effort, finally, they are all English again.
  The world is so big. And people diverses.
  
  However, I feel I lacks more.
  I find I can only talk or write in one style, that is, my working style. Point 1 2 3... I still don't know the language. Sometimes, I still can't express myself. It is totally different from using Chinese. In Chinese, every word has a color. Your narration can be sad or happy, dark or bright.
  One day I saw a man on forum was searching for a oral English partner. He needs to negotiate bussiness in English. I do understand him. You just feel the pushing. And there is no way out unless you know the language so well.
  I never believe the English corner. No real topic, no motive, two Chinese talk each other about how to learn English. And that will improve your speaking? Ha!
  I tried to recite some nice essays about two years ago when I had to spend such a long long time on public traffic. The colleciton is very nice. I remember one essay is Mr. Lincoln's speach at Gattsburg. Another is about the waking up of a city in early morning.
  It is a tough job. If only I could stick on that, I must have already finished the whole book and my language been pretty good.
  
  I think the girl's idea is good. She is trying to write English in blog. Her first step is a poem translation, which is quite good.
  Let me follow her. Write in English.
  
----------
Wow! What a plough!
  I can never feel freedom when express my mind in Einglish, so I give up following Anybodynotme.
  
  BTW:I usually write draft in word or notebook before writing down in blog to avoid "time out" problem. Or make a copy before post. The server is not stable to trust.
评论人:好色乐之 评论日期:2004-4-5 10:39


  Thank you for the suggestion.
  Yes, server is unreliable. Sometimes just randomly comes up with some words. Didn't plan to write long.
  Write a draft is more formal. Anyway, that is a good habbit. :)
评论人:乱看 评论日期:2004-4-5 19:51


  your english is so good and if you use it to write love letters, i'm sure your words will be rosy and vivid, totally avoiding the working style.^-^
评论人:anybodynotme 评论日期:2004-4-5 20:06


  See... Who is coming? Anybodynotme!
  So you see I am bragging here for your poem translation... haha
  
  You get it. :)
  Passion lights up the words.
评论人:乱看 评论日期:2004-4-5 20:32


  How to translate "千穿万穿,马屁不穿" to English ?
  //grin
  
评论人:好色乐之 评论日期:2004-4-5 20:54


  haha
  
  Here it is:
  Thousands wear,millions wear,
  Horse's gas never wear.
评论人:乱看 评论日期:2004-4-5 21:37


  yeeeeee---ah! my tongue always goes deadly motionless to utter whatever a single word after reading such a long long story of you! I just can not express how i admire you and......love you! U r terrific!
  ...
  and, is that proverb true? really there is the Horse Gas.. tet..
评论人:linz 评论日期:2004-4-6 16:12


  So I get a new fans... :))
  Well, I should be honest to my fans. Don't take serious of what I said about Horse Gas. Although it looks very nice, it is just as perfect as word to word translation.
  Maybe one day I should try to test some colleague about the gas thing? Hope not too rude to ask about it...
评论人:乱看 评论日期:2004-4-6 20:00


  fart is more perfect than gas
评论人:好色乐之 评论日期:2004-4-6 20:52   
  
  
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment